While raw veggies will always have my crunchy heart, there’s something to be said for warm and roasted veggies too. The natural sweetness that comes from roasting this season’s finest instantly provides comfort, making it a welcome addition to any fall meal. And when that fall meal is tacos, boy, are you in for a treat.
Spicy, sweet, smokey and absolutely irresistible – these roasted butternut squash tacos are piled high with a green apple and tahini lime kale slaw all over an avocado pomegranate smash. It will take your traditional meat, cheese and salsa Taco Tuesday to a whole ‘nother level. Plant-based has never tasted so good… just ask my carnivorous husband who quickly polished the entire lot of them off as soon as he came home!
Tips for making this an easy-peasy weeknight meal:
Buy a container of butternut squash that is already peeled and cubed from your local grocer.
Prepare the green apple and tahini lime kale slaw ahead of time. Think Sunday prep day. Kale’s tough leaves can hold up to the dressing for a few days and will even taste better as the dressing marinates and breaks down the leaves even further.
Buy frozen pomegranate arils to save time and avoid the mess that comes along with opening a fresh pomegranate.
Fall Butternut Squash Tacos with Apple Kale Slaw
Servings: 4 tacos
4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 Tablespoon coconut oil, very soft or melted
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 Tablespoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1/2 bunch of kale, de-ribbed and sliced into thin ribbons
2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 granny smith apple, cut into thin matchsticks
1/4 cup tahini
1 lime, juiced
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2-3 Tablespoon water, as needed
1 avocado, smashed
1/3 cup pomegranate arils
4 organic corn tortillas, warmed
Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- To keep it easy, add the maple syrup, coconut oil, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, cayenne and black pepper to the butternut squash in the container you bought it in. Stir well to coat.
- In an even layer, spread butternut squash on a lined cookie sheet and place in preheated oven.
- Roast butternut squash for 20 minutes or until soft and browned.
- While butternut squash is roasting, make the kale slaw by adding the kale, cilantro and granny smith apple to a medium sized mixing bowl. Combine the tahini, lime, extra virgin olive oil and water in a separate bowl. Pour tahini lime dressing over kale and take time to massage it in, breaking down the tough leaves.
- In a small bowl, make the avocado smash by smashing the avocado with the back of a fork until desired texture. Add pomegranate arils and stir gently to combine.
- Warm the corn tortillas in a nonstick pan.
- Assemble the four tacos by spooning 1/4 of the avocado smash onto 1 warm tortilla, pile on the butternut squash and top with the apple kale slaw. Repeat to assemble the remaining three tacos, and serve!