Sometimes a green smoothie just won't cut it in the morning. Maybe it's too cold outside, maybe you're craving something heartier or something comforting and grounding. That's where this creamy, ooey-gooey bowl of thick and delicious oats comes in. It is perfect for when you need a nourishing breakfast that gives each of your cells a nice cozy hug good morning. And it's basically cake. Your soul needs this.
Meet your new favorite veggie heavy bowl of oatmeal... Lovingly referred to as "zoats" -zucchini oats, get it? Drenched with a rich and melty vanilla coconut cream topping, these oats have just the right combination of sweet and spice.
While it looks (and tastes!) decadent, this zoatmeal is figure-friendly. Sweetened with the natural sugars of shredded heirloom carrots, organic raisins and a small drizzle of grade B dark maple syrup, this gluten free bowl of goodness won't send you crashing in a few hours. Plus the addition of cinnamon and extra fiber from the zucchini further work to keep your blood sugar balanced. This warm breakfast bowl is pretty much the best way to start your day, especially on a cold winter morning. I know what you're having for breakfast tomorrow...
Carrot Cake Zoats
1/2 cup shredded carrots (I used heirloom carrots)
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
sprinkle of nutmeg
touch of sea salt
1/2 cup of gluten free oats
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp maple syrup (dark, grade B)
Directions: In a medium-size pot, whisk the almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt over medium heat until combined. Then stir in oatmeal, carrots and zucchini. Adjust heat as necessary to avoid boiling. Cook about 8-9 minutes, stirring often. When the zoats thicken up, remove from heat and stir in vanilla, raisins and 2 tbsp maple syrup. Add more almond milk if necessary to achieve desired texture. Place into 2 separate bowls and top with coconut cream topping (recipe below) and some walnuts, raisins and coconut shreds.
Coconut Cream Topping:
(This option takes a bit more work but is totally worth it! Running short on time? No problem, top oatmeal with unsweetened coconut yogurt for a dose of belly-loving probiotics! I don't recommend dairy yogurt for reasons listed here.)
- Buy a can of full fat coconut milk without "guar gum" listed as an ingredient
- Put can in the fridge overnight tip: store a few cans in the back of the fridge because you'll definitely want to make this again and again to top all sorts of things!
- Place your mixing bowl in the freezer 5 minutes before making the coconut cream topping
- Remove chilled can from fridge and turn it upside down
- Open the can. Pour the liquid off into a separate bowl and add it to a smoothie later on
- Scoop leftover coconut cream into the freezing cold mixing bowl
- Grab your hand mixer and beat the cream into a whipped topping
- Add sweetener of choice (stevia for sugar-free or a teaspoon or 2 of another natural, mineral-rich sweetener like grade B maple syrup, coconut nectar or raw honey) if desired along with 1/2 tsp vanilla and beat again
- Store leftovers in the fridge (if there are any!!!) in a sealed container for a week or so
Enjoy my friends!!!